Week 13- Make Up Blog

I apologize for the late blog. Life comes at you fast!

Week 13 discusses the negative and positive connotations connected to grades and how we evaluate students' performance. I can see the perspective of grades having little to no value true value because they push learners to be motivated by grades rather than the "joy of learning." It is true that we as educators need to do a better job at pushing the learning process to be a joyous one and one that is much more than just a letter grade. So often, we get caught up in the mandates that we have to meet. Unfortunately, I can't show up to my Principal's office with no grades entered and say "the kids learned a lot." I personally that the system was more so built like that because I think it would help create a generation of thinks, inquirers, innovators, etc. I think that accountability and follow through are important but genuine learning experiences are more valuable in my eyes. I have even told students in the past that grades are directly attached to effort, not to overall intelligence. You may e able to master one step equations and pass the test with flying colors but can you apply that knowledge when grocery shopping ? Or banking? The application of skills is something that learners must see value in and not just because of a grade. Should there be a system for managing students' progress, absolutely. Should that system be letter grades based off of percentages... I am not sure. The structures that are aligned with education have become just that, structures. Teachers, parents and students have made such an uproar about grades, good or bad that at times it takes away from our overall mission of creating active learners. Then I ask myself, is this really our goal? The checks and balances that are in place say otherwise but I get it.

Passive learners cannot become active community members.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 9-TYLER, CHAPTER 2: HOW CAN LEARNING EXPERIENCES BE SELECTED WHICH ARE LIKELY TO BE USEFUL IN ATTAINING THESE OBJECTIVES?

week 14

REFLECTION ON COURSE