Week 8- Is Your Lesson a Grecian Urn?

I was particularly interested in the article called “Is Your Lesson a Grecian Urn?” and wanted to write about that this week. First, I’ll define what the author calls a Grecian urn lesson: “projects that look creative, that the teacher might describe as hands-on learning, interdisciplinary teaching, project-based instruction, or the integration of arts and tech, but that nonetheless lack any substantial learning for students” (Gonazelez, 2016). Gonazelez points out a lesson where a teacher has students create their own urns in response to studying about Ancient Greeks. She explains that the project simply keeps students busy while it teaches them very little about the content.
This type of lesson perfectly captures a lot of my own experiences as a student, particularly in elementary and middle school. I was able to relate to so many of her examples of Grecian urn lessons, like completing a word search, spending way too much time coloring, changing fonts on a document for an hour, or adding transitions and special effects into PowerPoint presentations. All of these activities take away from valuable learning time, and participating in these activities did not deepen my understanding of the content in my classes in any way.
Gonzalez explains why these types of lessons are so problematic. They really don’t lead to enhanced learning and it wastes valuable time. They also don’t often align to standards. I think that Grecian urn lessons are more prominent in our own teaching than we’d like to admit. The author points out how to identify one of these lessons, offering questions to ask oneself as a teacher: “Does [the lesson] consume far more of a student’s time than is reasonable in relation to its academic impact?” (Gonzalez, 2016). Reading this article helped me realize that I probably participate in this problem through my own teaching.
My 6th grade students recently spent a lot of time in class creating picture books to accurately reflect a sub-plot of our novel. With this assignment, there was a large writing component to summarize the plot, yet I can definitely see how there might have been too much emphasis on creativity and neatness rather than content. We spent multiple days in class coloring, designing, and assembling the picture books as well as summarizing the plot and aligning it to the drawings. I like this assignment and the students were engaged but I can see how I will change it in future years to focus more on standards and high-level thinking.
I appreciate that Gonzalez did see some value in these types of lessons. After all, they really do increase engagement. For instance, with the picture book assignment, students were extremely proud of their creations after putting so much time and energy into them. She admits, “Building relationships with students, creating a family-like atmosphere, and making the classroom a place students love to come has incredible value” (Gonzalez, 2016). She also talks about how these types of lessons can be used as classroom management tools. When you need a day to rest or you need the students to just do something quietly and concentrate, it’s okay to fall back on this kind of lesson.
I think the thing she wants teachers to take away is to recognize how often they are teaching Grecian urn lessons, reflect on why they are teaching these lessons, and make changes when possible to improve instruction. This will require some teachers to have a deeper understanding of their own content area. Teachers need to have frequent training to familiarize themselves with standards and learn about the best instructional techniques. It is not right to assume that educators know best practices without being informed.

Comments

  1. Hi Sydnie!
    I'm so glad you made a personal connection to your own teaching. After reading this piece a few years ago, I made several changes to my own lessons. Even today I think, is this assignment meaningful or am i just keeping students busy? Nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!
    I highly agree with you that teachers need to have frequent training to familiarize themselves with standards and learn about the best instructional techniques. Your experience with your 6th-grade students was interesting. Indeed, as educators, we cannot only focus on one or two aspects of a student's performance. Instead, we need to make our teaching method more flexible. In addition to helping them learn, building relationships with them is also an effective way to promote their learning. I think you are doing very well, I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sydnie. I think the metaphor “Grecian Urn” sounds interesting. This metaphor just recalled me a Chinese old saying “It's better to teach a man fishing than to give him fish”. The philosophy behinds these saying is that the educator shouldn’t just input the knowledge directly but teaching them the learning and let them generate the knowledge by themselves.
    In addition, the classroom atmosphere is also very important. The family-like atmosphere will create a sense of belonging which plays an important role in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! It makes me feel that there is no perfect thing in this world after reading your writing. Everything has its two sides. You mentioned the strong points of this type of lesson, and also introduced the weaknesses of Grecian Urn lesson, which makes me recall the famous saying "to make a concrete analysis of concrete conditions". To be a teacher, we need to know how to flexibly use the teaching methods into appropriate learning conditions, and avoid the potential problems that we would meet during teaching process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sydnie.Thank you for sharing! I really agree that teachers should have a deeper understanding of their own content area. Teachers know their area then they will have their understand ing of the curriculum and find the significance of the curriculum and students will also can catch the contents. Teachers need to have frequent training to familiarize themselves with standards and learn about the best instructional techniques. Everything changes really fast nowadays, so it is really important for us educators to have a further study and training to know more about our curricula and students’ study. That is our right and responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,thanks for sharing this week.
    I was interested in what you said that “.Teachers need to have frequent training to familiarize themselves with standards and learn about the best instructional techniques. It is not right to assume that educators know best practices without being informed. ” I totally agree with this. Teachers should be familiarize often. Then they can understand teaching and students more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have reflected on some of my own practices after this reading. I also teach 6th grade and students had to recreate book covers. The goal was to create affective summaries but I did put a heavy emphasis on creativity. To be honest, I put a lot of emphasis on creativity in project based learning, often. In my eyes, I am not only assessing but I am giving my learners who are creative an opportunity to shine. I am also giving them an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding in a different format. This is also me coming from a diverse learner/SPED background, but I do believe it is relevant for all learners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sydnie, i really appreciated your honesty in this week's post. I hope that you are able to keep tailoring your lessons so that they are impactful and engaging all at once. Sometimes I wonder do all the group projects creating skits in 6th grade social studies and english were helpful.

    Now that I think of it, helpful in the sense of working as a team to achieve a goal (which is definitely valuable in the work place.) I think those skits, if done too often will help the memory for a moment but not long term. Often as 6th graders the humor of acting really just steals the attention. I would add to Gonzales' value adds: building soft skills through the perspective of a given lesson. And as soft skill development in classrooms become increasingly important, we should fit Grecian urn lessons more regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 9-TYLER, CHAPTER 2: HOW CAN LEARNING EXPERIENCES BE SELECTED WHICH ARE LIKELY TO BE USEFUL IN ATTAINING THESE OBJECTIVES?

week 14

REFLECTION ON COURSE